Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Little Bit about my Island Paradise


Do you know how to pronounce Saint Lucia? Well, I didn’t know either until I got here. Saint Lucia is pronounced “Saint Loosha”.

It is an island in the Eastern Caribbean and we are very close to the equator. Look at the map. I am living on the eastern side of the island in the village of Micoud. Can you find it? You can click on the map to make it easier to see.

Being close to the equator means it is very hot here. You can find the temperature in Saint Lucia anytime by just looking here on my blog. Do you see it? Don’t worry about it being hot, the island breeze keeps me very cool.

Did you know that where I am is four hours ahead of your time? So, when you are starting school at 8:30, I’m having lunch because it’s 12:30 here!

The island is very small. Los Angeles is 4,061 square miles and Saint Lucia is only 231 square miles! Karen said that when Jay and Kevin get here we are going to hike across the island.

The population of their whole country is just a little bit more than the people who live in Torrance! There are only 160,000 people on this whole island. There are 138,000 people living in Torrance.

Oh, and one more thing. English is the official language. The people also speak a kind of French Patois which they call Kreywol (pronounced creole).

4 comments:

  1. bonjou flat erika,
    i am very happy that you arrived safely in micoud, saint lucia. thank you so much for teaching us about this beautiful country. i am so proud that you are learning kreywol. you are such a quick learner.
    how do you say bye in kreywol?

    can't wait to travel with you,
    jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay, I'm glad that I can teach you about Saint Lucia. I can't wait to travel with you too - there is so much to see!

    ba bye (bye,)
    Flat Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it over there?Are you having fun with Karen? Kev and Jay might bring Flat Autumn when they come? They could take pictures together? Is Karen taking pictures of you? Maybe you and Flat Autumn can make a video and show it to us when you get back? I can't wait till I get to see you again. Do you want to see what Flat Autumn looks like? Flat Autumn is going to look great if she comes. Can't wait till you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjou Erika, yes I am having a very nice time here. Karen would never tell you this, but I can. She is the most wonderful volunteer on the island. We are taking pictures and she is taking good care of me. Karen just talked to Jay and he said it would be fun to make a video. He also said he will go home tonight and write a draft screen play. Send me a picture of Flat Autumn! I miss her a lot and hope she can travel with Jay and Kevin

    Mwe ka-ale
    Flat Erika

    ReplyDelete