Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Welcome Peace Corps EC79!



Well, this has been a busy day. Karen and I got up early and went to the Library to help set up an exhibit for Independence day. There is so much to tell you. I’m going to tell you stories about cannibals and slaves, and heroes and freedom! But you have to wait and keep checking my posts to find out about these things!


After we were done at the Library we went to the Hewanorra Airport. We went there to welcome the new Peace Corps Volunteers. They are going to be here for over two years! Karen’s been here for six months and will be here until October 2010. The Peace Corps Volunteers come to help people who have ask for help. Peace Corps Volunteers help start small businesses, they help people learn how to eat properly and take care of themselves and they are teachers and sports coaches.


Karen is helping her village to start tours for people who are staying on ships and in hotels. This will bring money into her village. There are a lot of people who don’t have jobs here. If tourists come here there will be more jobs. Karen said that when Jay was in Honduras he helped farmers learn how to plant different things to eat. Maybe he will comment on my blog and tell you about it!


We are living just like the people in her village live. I will tell you a lot more about that later. Well I guess that’s all for now.

4 comments:

  1. you've done more in two weeks than i did in two years. i am very proud of you flat erika. everybody keeps talking about this wonderful new volunteer, who happens to be flat. thank you for helping my mom with her project, and make sure she stays safe.

    flat jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom and I look out for each other. We are safe, don't worry. I wish I could have been with you in Honduras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you gave the new volunteers a warm welcome to Saint Lucia. How nice of you! You are doing some great work so far. Good for you. We are so proud of you back home.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kristi - it's nice to have so many friends. That way I don't get lonely.

    ReplyDelete