Saturday, March 28, 2009

Electricity made from water!




Well, 3D Erika, I have to tell you that now I've seen everything.

We met a real Rastafarian named Sly Joseph. He has land near Karen's village. His land has a waterfall and pools of water. There is a rope that Jay and Kevin used to swing into a very large pool of water. It was very beautiful there.





Mr. Joseph is very smart. He wrote a grant to the University of Vermont and they gave him money to build hydroelectric power on his property. I know hydroelectric is a big word and means that electricity is made by pumping water downhill. Then the water is sent back up the hill. Mr. Joseph's electricity is all made by pumping water from the waterfall. That means he doesn't have to pay an electric bill, but it also means that he is environmentally conscious.

Mr. Joseph eats mostly fruits and vegetables that are grown on his land. He shared a soursop with us and it tasted so good! It is a very sweet fruit.

Mr. Joseph also has a lot of pets. He has a donkey and a dog and fish that swim in his pond. He is a very nice man.


Mr. Joseph has an outside classroom where he brings children to teach them about sustainable living.

We learned that Mr. Joseph is far ahead of his time and we wish everyone could learn from him. He really cares about the earth and doesn't want to hurt it.

5 comments:

  1. My baseball game went great. We mercy ruled them. Ian happy to see everybody here at home.This is from shayne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it is Erika how is the trip going?I can't belive Flat Autumn got jealous of my new clothes that you put on her.Who is the one that jumped into the river.I hered that you made me a necklace that had my name on it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi 3D Erika. Yes, Autumn was jealous, but Karen made sure we were both happy. She looks very pretty in her traditional Saint Lucian clothes. My new EK necklace is nice. Did you see it in the pictures? Both Kevin and Jay jumped in the river. They had a lot of fun doing it. Karen and I watched them and took pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shayne - I'm so glad to hear from you! I miss you a lot. I can't believe you had such a good game. That's great that you mercy ruled them, but I bet they kind of felt bad about it.

    I miss you and can't wait to see everyone!

    3D Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Flat Erika,
    Mr Joseph sounds so cool! Most technologies excite me, but one that is good for our planet is the greatest. I can't wait to hear more about your hydroelectric experience when you return!

    ReplyDelete