Sunday, March 8, 2009

Junior Achievement



Karen and I went to a conference last week in Castries. That’s the capitol of Saint Lucia. We brought seven girls with us. They were very excited and lots of fun. The conference was at a very nice hotel called Sandal’s. None of the girls had ever been there and so we all explored the pool and beach area. It was really very beautiful.


The girls are the officers in a Junior Achievement Project at the Secondary School. Junior Achievement teaches students how to create a business, make a product and sell it. They are making dog tags and key chains and have sold a lot of them. They are very popular.


Junior Achievement is in schools all over the world! Karen said she was in Junior Achievement when she was in high school. She said that it was so much fun that’s why she wanted to work in the business field! She said that when we get to high school it is likely that we will have the opportunity to be part of Junior Achievement. I can hardly wait!

3 comments:

  1. Erika,

    Hi my name is Al. I am a prospective Peace Corps applicant going through the last stages of my application. First, I should say, I love your blog. It's very entertaining, lively, and you write very intelligently. I am curious about some things. How do you deal with the constant stares of being different in a distant land? Also, how do you motivate people in your class rooms in order to engage them in the curriculum?

    I should tell you a little about me. I am a graduating senior at Iowa State University. I am expected to leave for the Pacific Islands in September of 2009. I will teach health education.

    Feel free to email me at itsal@iastate.edu. I wish you much success and a happy life.

    Sincerely,

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Al: Making friends with people helps. When people stare, it's just because I'm flat not because of who I am. Karen says she will email you about the kids and their education. I'm glad you like my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flat Erika,

    I have to say... I'm quite jealous of all the wonderful adventures you're having. Sandals Resort for Junior Achievement? How nice! You and the girls looked to be really enjoying yourselves and learning a lot, too, of course. It's looks beautiful, too.

    3D Erika reminded me that tomorrow is your debut in Mrs. Schneiders class. I'm very excited to hear how great the kids think the blog is. Until then....

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete