Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hi Mrs. Schneider's Class!!!

Bonjou! Sa Ka Fet! That means "Hello, what's up?" I heard that Mrs. Schneider is going to let the class visit my blog. I think Mrs. Schneider is very nice. I’d love to hear from you. I miss all of you. You can send a comment at the bottom of the post. Just click on “comment” and ask me a question or tell me what you think. I’ll write you back! At the end of each post you can tell me if you think I’m having a “Good Time” and if you “Wish you were here”. Just check the box.


Well, Karen and I had a big day today. We went to Castries, the capitol of Saint Lucia. As we left our house, Karen told me how happy she is because the men were here to finish making screens for her windows. She says she’s happy because she won’t have so many mosquito bites now. The man is making her screens at the house across the street.




We met with a lot of the volunteers at the Peace Corps Office. They put me right in the center of things as they discussed Peace Corps business. They are all so nice and were so happy to see me. They loved my new Kweyol clothes.

You can click on the pictures to make it bigger so you can see me better.


I thought you might want to know a little bit about how I live. One thing you might find strange is that we don’t have hot water here. No one does. We take cold showers and Karen heats the water in her electric kettle to wash the dishes.


Karen says she doesn’t worry too much about hot water – she just wants water. Many times, the water system breaks and we don’t have any. We have buckets in the shower filled with water. We use them when there is no water. Karen says that sometimes they don’t have water for two or three days at a time!


There are a lot of people without much money here. Most of the people in the village make money by fishing or growing bananas. Some people don’t have indoor plumbing or electricity. They have public facilities where people go to get water and take a shower or use the bathroom.



The man in the picture is a fisherman. He is cutting up his catch and will sell them to the local people here. Fisherman are very brave because they go way out to sea in very small boats to catch their fish.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Flat Erika!
    Room 30 misses you so much, but it looks like you are learning a lot. We all read your blog today in computer lab. We think this is so cool and we think Karen is awesome for setting this up!! We really liked the video and how you were dressed in the traditional clothing. Keep us posted as you go through you learning adventures! See you soon!

    Mrs. Schneider & Room 30

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Flat Erika,
    I really liked your video and pictures. They are awesome!

    From, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    I am Jeremy and I am one of Erika's friends. Do you have any brothers or sisters. Are you the oldest won, if you do?

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Flat Erika,
    I like your blog and like your pictures!

    From, Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Flat Erika I showed the class this blog. They are going to send you a note. I miss you so much. I can't wait in till you come back. I'll miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone! I'm so glad you visited my blog. I hope you are learning a lot about the island of Saint Lucia. I know I am.

    Erika, thank you for showing the class this blog! I miss you too.

    Hi Brandon, I'm glad you like the pictures. Karen and I have been having fun taking them.

    Hi Jeremy, yes I have a sister. Her name is Flat Autumn. Jay and Kevin, our very good friends are bringing her here next week! They are flying on two airplanes to get here and it will take 14 hours! I'm glad Flat Autumn is coming because we have fun together.

    Hi Andrea, I'm glad you liked the pictures and the video. Thank you for telling me that.

    Hello Mrs. Schneider. It was very nice of you to let the class see the blog. Karen and I are having a lot of fun with it. Karen says to tell you that she will make sure Flat Erika gets back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeremy - I just noticed that you were asking Karen a question. I have two sisters and I also have three sons, a granddaughter and a daughter-in-law. Yes, I am the oldest sister. Are you the oldest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flat Erika,

    I was so happy to see and hear from 3D Erika how the class was able to check out the blog during their computer lab time this week. That's so cool. I know they really enjoyed it and I'm sure they are anxious to get back on the blog.

    Psss...tomorrow 3D Erika turns 8! Can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My class loved this blog. I love it too. Tell Karen thank you for all of her help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen says, "you are welcome Erika, I'm having fun with the project".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I saw the video that you did for my birthday. I wish you could be here for my birthday. It was funny that you actually did it with Flat Erika instead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you liked the video Erika - I wish I could be there with you too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete